Each year, more than 20,000 Australians die from sudden cardiac arrest (SCA). Many of these deaths can be prevented if bystanders to an SCA event had access to a portable defibrillator. At DefibsPlus, we’re passionate about empowering communities throughout Australia by giving you the confidence to use a defibrillator when a crisis occurs. That’s why we started the HeartSmart program with the help of our partners at Monash University!
Empowering Everyone to Save Lives
The HeartSmart program provides necessary education, training and support to empower everyday people working in offices, schools and public spaces across Australia to recognise a SCA event and act quickly in order to save a life. Our mission is to make access to a portable defibrillator as common sense and commonplace as having a seatbelt in your car or having a First Aid kit in your home.
SCA can happen to anyone at any time, whether they are healthy or sick, young or old. In the minutes it takes emergency services to arrive, the chances of recovering from SCA decrease dramatically – as much as 10% for every minute that passes. Having a portable defibrillator close by and knowing how to use one to treat an SCA increases chances of survival exponentially – turning a helpless situation into one of hope.
With the right training through our HeartSmart program, you’ll know exactly what needs to be done.
What is Included in the HeartSmart Program?
The HeartSmart program was been developed by experts from Monash University and DefibsPlus, and consists of 5 modules.
- Module One – Learn what the HeartSmart program is all about, why it matters and the value of participating in this course.
- Module Two – Learn how to tell the difference between a heart attack and sudden cardiac arrest, and how to treat these very different conditions.
- Module Three – Learn how to perform bystander CPR. This is a form of CPR that does not include mouth-to-mouth breathing.
- Module Four – Learn about automated external defibrillators (AED), including how to use an AED, the different parts of the device, and how to maintain and store your AED.
- Module Five – A wrap up of everything you’ve covered in your course. Ask questions and build up your confidence and knowledge!
Once the final module is complete, you will undergo an assessment from your training instructor and receive a Certificate of Completion. The HeartSmart program doesn’t stop there though, as our specialists will continue to deliver ongoing support and heart health updates.
How to Apply for the HeartSmart Program
The HeartSmart program is open to anyone who purchases a portable defibrillator from DefibsPlus. However, we can also accommodate you even if you haven’t purchased an AED from us – just contact us directly.
The AEDs we offer through our online store include:
- HeartSine – Including the HeartSine Samaritan 500P semi-automatic AED, the HeartSine Samaritan 350P semi-automatic AED, and the HeartSine Samaritan 360P fully-automatic AED.
- LifePak – Including the LifePak CR2 fully-automatic AED, the LifePak CR Plus fully-automatic AED, and the LifePak CR2 semi-automatic AED.
- Mediana – Including the Mediana HeartOn A15 AED, the Mediana HeartOn A15 AED package, the Mediana HeartOn A10 AED, and the Mediana HeartOn A10 AED package.
If you are unsure which AED would work for your needs (for example, if you work with young children or are on a tight budget), don’t hesitate to speak to our team of specialists – we’re ready to help you find the right portable defibrillator.
AEDs are highly recommended for public and workspaces, some of which require an AED on site by law. This is because AEDs are exceptionally easy to use. While there are slight differences between brands and types of AEDs, the principle behind these portable defibrillators is that they are designed to be used by anyone, regardless of their training or medical expertise. They use voice commands and visual instructions to walk you through exactly what you need to do, step by step, from preparing the person and applying the electrode pads to performing bystander CPR and applying the electric shock.
The role of our defibrillator program is therefore aimed at helping you and your co-workers not only to recognise when an SCA has occurred, but to also feel comfortable with the device and confident in using it. This will save precious minutes when it comes to providing fast and effective treatment to someone in need.
In addition, we also offer a range of consumables for AED pack, training equipment, defibrillator signage and storage cabinets, and replacement defibrillator batteries and electrode pads.